Monday, June 3, 2013

Day 1: Baltimore, MD to Waynesboro, PA


*Note: This was written last night but is getting posted today because we didn't have wifi last night! (This will be a common theme)*

Mileage: 71, but got shuttled the last 12
Weather: Varied, was hot and humid at some points, cool and windy with cloud cover at other points, and also a huge downpour

Well, today I’m writing from the gym floor of a church in Waynesboro, PA, where it’s 10 pm and I’m literally fighting to keep my eyes open! I apologize if this blog entry is boring or downright incomprehensible. I also apologize for the lack of pictures.... due to the stress of the first day I didn't take any!

Day 1 was filled with ups and downs, both mentally and physically. I got about 2 hours of sleep last night due to the excitement and stress. We had to be in Baltimore at 5:30 to pack the vans and get ready to leave. At 7 the send-off ceremony began and at 7:45 all four 4K teams rolled out of the Inner Harbor. Saying goodbye to my family was hard as I have never been away from my family for that long, and my parents are very nervous about me. So nervous that they interrogated Dan and Andrew (our ride directors) and installed about 10 flashing strobe lights on my bike. Before pulling out of the harbor, we all dipped our back tires into the Harbor. When we arrive at our destinations on the West Coast we will dip our front tires into the Pacific Ocean :).

I’m not sure I have the energy to go over the details of the day, so I’m going to say two things that really stuck out to me.


1. This ride is going to challenge me in ways I’ve never been challenged before. 

To say this was clear today is an understatement. Today’s ride was physically, mentally, and emotionally challenging – and it was only Day 1. I think today was the hardest workout I’ve done in the past 4 years. We faced rolling hills the whole way, which I was not accustomed to from my training. In addition, grueling obstacles such as falls, flat tires, hot sun, and a downpour all made appearances (I won the award for first flat of the trip at mile 13!). There were moments when I definitely thought there is no way I can do this for 70 days. My group had to get off the road at mile 60 and shuttle the rest of the way because the downpour was getting worse and the storm was expected to throw 70-mph winds and hail at us. I ended the ride with a delicious mixture of sweat, sunscreen, and rain running down my face and into my mouth, and with grime all over me. I’ve done challenging things before, but this is different. After it’s over you don’t get to go take a shower in your own shower and sleep in your poofy bed and have a relaxing day the next day. No, it’s sleeping on a floor and getting right back up to do the same thing the next day. It’s spending 70 days with people I just met, and we’ll undoubtedly run into some disagreements along the way. It’s going to be a challenge but I am up for it. When there are challenges we have been instructed to think of the person we are riding for and imagine them, who could not give up on the fight against cancer.


2. The 4K community is amazing and inspiring and I am honored to be a new member of it.

We would not have made it through this day without the support of no less than 10 Team Portland alumni, who both rode with us and supported us in the vans and their personal cars. Each riding group today had an alumni. While most of the team was pretty quiet, likely due to nerves and the fact that we all just met each other, the alumni chatted on and on about their experiences and how much fun we are going to have. Alumni passed by in the vans and cars with 4K written on their windows, honking the trademark 4K van honk (a bunch of fast beeps), slowing down and yelling out the windows, cheering us on. Some alumni even had a drum they were playing out the window as they drove by. They encouraged us at parts they knew were particularly difficult, such as long stretches and the hills! They also took care of driving the vans, getting our food donations, and loading the bikes onto the vans when we had to shuttle, taking a lot of stress off of our team, which was very welcome as we already had a lot to stress about on Day 1.

Coming into the water stops and lunch stops, all the alumni and team members cheered for each person. Everyone’s attitudes are just so positive and encouraging, and it’s really inspiring. I also was thankful for the members of my riding group, who cheered for each other on the hills while we were riding. I fell behind on several of them but my teammates were very supportive and I always made it. It reminded me of cross country in high school, when we would place ourselves on the hills of the course and yell encouragement at each teammate. That made me realize how long it’s been since I’ve even done a team sport, and that I’m glad to be back into the atmosphere where teammates have each other’s backs and support each other every step of the way. It makes me confident that when one of us is having a hard day, we will be able to get through it. I am really excited to be surrounded by such great people and can’t wait to really feel a part of the 4K community.

Other random comments:

  • Pretty sure I drank more water today than I have any other day of my life, but it was 100% necessary
  • No idea how I’m going to re-pack my suitcase in the morning (my mom did it for me at home)
  • Going to have to learn how to re-do a hair tie with cycling gloves on.. actually pretty difficult
  • Roadkill…something you THINK you notice in a car, until you’re right next to it on a bike… yuck!!
  • Ziploc bags = best thing that ever happened to my iPhone when it’s in my pocket during a rainstorm
  • It was really a bummer that I didn’t get to finish Day 1, but at the same time, I’ll be better prepared for tomorrow, which is rumored to be the hardest day on the entire trip.
Tune in for tomorrow’s edition: Team Portland takes on the APPALACHIANS!!

XOXO,
Mary

No comments:

Post a Comment